Friday, August 1, 2008

Blueberry Pie


I got the original recipe from a book called Alive in 5 by Angela Elliot. I have a feeling I'm going to be using a lot of her quick and easy recipes over the next few months. Here's the original:

Makes 6 servings

1 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup pitted dates
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon raw agave nectar

Combine the walnuts, dates, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor, and process until the mixture holds together and forms a dough. Press into a 9-inch glass pie pan. Rinse and dry the food processor. Place the blueberries and agave nectar into the food processor, and process until pureed. Our the puree into the prepared pie crust. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.


My notes:

In the book Angela recommends soaking nuts before using them (for at least and hour). I did this but now wish I hadn't. My crust seemed a bit soggy after the blueberry puree was poured in and it set up in the fridge for a while. Next time, I will NOT soak my walnuts first.

I used slightly different ingredients:

3/4 cup soaked raw walnuts
1/4 cup soaked raw almonds
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (probably not raw)
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (that's all I had left)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons raw agave nectar
1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder (to make sure the puree firmed up)

So the pie is completely delicious. The only thing I would change in the future is not soaking the nuts for the crust (or if I do soak them I would put them in the dehydrator for a bit before using them.) Even though the crust is pretty mushy it still tastes wonderful. It reminds me of oatmeal so the flavor ended up something like blueberry crisp without the crunch. Mmmmm good.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: