Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Kale Chips


I found a recipe for Kale Chips on goneraw.com and I did enjoy the first batch but really wanted to try a couple of variations. I'm sure the variety of seasonings is endless. Here's what I did this time:

Ingredients
1 head fresh purple kale, wash and remove center stem/vien
1 head fresh green kale, wash and remove center stem/vien
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Teriyaki Style
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp Nama Shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp dried ginger

Simply Fresh
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt

Preparation
Cut the pieces of kale into palm-sized segments. Place them all in large container and fill with water. Toss 1/2 tsp. sea salt into water. Massage the kale with your hands for about a minute. Allow to sit in salted water for about 30 minutes. Drain well. Divide into two batches. Toss each batch with different seasoning sauce. Lay the leaves on mesh dehydrator screens. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for about 5-8 hours.

Adi absolutely LOVES the Teriyaki Style chips. She gobbled down an adult size handful and wanted more but it was bedtime. She strongly prefers the green kale. She held up the green chips to the window and mimicking me said, "look at that beautiful color!" I have to agree with her, the green kale chips taste a bit better and are thinner making them more krispy. Purple kale is good too, just a slightly different texture. The simply fresh version is nice, but I really enjoy a bit of sweetness. Maybe I'll try it with a touch of honey next time. Honey and lemon are always a nice pair.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: