This recipe yields 4 medium-large pieces or 6 small pieces if an 6-inch spring form is used.
This is my own version of a non-bake pie inspired by the non-bake pie recipe’s of The American Vegetarian Cookbook by Marilyn Diamond. The technique for this kind of pie is from the author of this book. Although made of fruit, seeds, nuts and dried fruit, it is a light food to be eaten. It could be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner or as a dessert. It could be eaten along or as a dessert after a light salad. It could be a side dish to a fruit salad too.
You will need half of the ingredients of Nutty-Fruity Chewy Snack Balls recipe for a 6-inch spring form pie.
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 mini papaya, pealed, seeded and lenght wise thin cut
¼ cup cup dried, unsweetened, shredded coconut
½ cup medium pineapple, cored and peeled
1 tablespoon tablespoon raw honey or raw agave syrup
2 tablespoons tablespoons agar-agar
⅓ cup cup water
2 small fresh strawberries
1 large ripe green kiwifruit
1 teaspoon teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup shredded coconut (optional).
1. Prepare crust mixture according to the instructions of Nutty-Fruity Chewy Snack Balls recipe using half of the ingredients.
2. Line a 6-inches spring form with baking paper to avoid the crust from sticking to the bottom.
3. Press crust mixture into the 6-inch spring form. The crust will be nearly 1/4-inch thick.
4. Dust the crust mixture with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
5. Set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I place it in the freezer for at least 45 minutes.
1. Place coconut, pineapple and raw honey or agave syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Heat agar-agar with 1/3 water in a small pan over low heat. Keep stirring mixture frequently until it becomes bubbly and gelatinous. It will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add agar-agar mixture to the pineapple mixture in the blender immediately. Blend for about 20 seconds.
4. Remove crust from the fridge or freezer.
5. Layer papayas pieces over the crust.
6. Pour pineapple mixture over the papaya (crust).
7. Place pie in the fridge or freezer and allow it to cool for about 15 minutes. Allow it to set.
1. Peel kiwifruit, cut in half lengthwise, and slice. Place slices with flat side adjacent to crust in a scallop fashion.
2. Cut strawberries in half lengthwise. Place the four strawberry pieces on the center of the pie forming a cross.
3. Dust with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and shredded coconut (coconut is optional).
4. Chill for at least one hour, or 30 minutes in the freezer before consumption.