Thursday, April 14, 2011

Raw 'Cheese' Sauce

Back to my hunt for a raw cheese that feels like a satisfying substitute for the real thing.  This one passed my "kiddo taste test" so it's a winner for the whole family!

I found a recipe for a cooked vegan cheese sauce that used almost all raw ingredients.  I thought, "Why cook it?"  So I modified a few things like using raw bell pepper instead of jarred pimentos and changed up quantities to make a smaller batch.  I used dried seasonings but if you like you could easily use raw garlic and onion (they just don't sit well in my tummy these days so I didn't want to risk it.)

I'd like to experiment with this recipe and dehydrate some on a paraflex sheet sometime but that's going to have to be another day with another batch.  I have big plans for this one.  This is a cheese substitute that fits the bill right now and I don't have to wait hours for (except for the soaking part but I did that this morning and came back to it when I was ready to start the recipe.  Soaking is somehow different for me.)





Raw 'Cheese' Sauce

3/4 cup water
1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 6 hours if possible)
1 lemon, juice of
1/2 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 orange or red bell pepper
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (optional - cut 1/4 cup water if not used)

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.  Add more water if needed for desired consistency.  Enjoy with vegetable crudites or as a sauce over raw noodles.

I haven't had any kind of non-raw cheese substitute that has even come close to this.  I absolutely LOVE it!  Hope you enjoy it, too.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I must try this! Thanks for the recipe!