Thursday, June 19, 2008

Don't Despise Small Beginnings

I have totally not started the Fit for Life plan at all. As a matter of fact, I've come to dread it and resist it. I'm not sure what's going on exactly - the air around town has been pretty thick with emotions responding to the 500-year flood we've experienced the last couple of weeks here in Iowa City and I think I'm pretty sensitive to that. So making a change right now feels hard. But it also feels completely necessary. And if I can't do it on my own, I have no choice but to call on God to be my strength.

I'm utterly miserable this morning without my morning cup of joe but here I am. Only one hour and 45 minutes away from the end of my morning fruit fast. I keep finding myself reminded of some encouraging words I recently heard at a women's conference, "don't despise small beginnings!" So I carefully chose a small beginning today:

Remove: Coffee
Add: Fresh fruit until noon

It seems to make sense to start here. To begin by removing a negative thing and replace it with a good thing. (I say coffee is a negative thing because I fully recognize my addiction to it and dependency on it - clearly not good. I could argue the nutritional side separately but won't here and now...) So when I remove the bad thing I'm not just sitting here with a big empty hole in my being. I'm filling the void with what the authors of Fit for Life describe as the single most important element of the lifestyle. The body is in "elimination" mode until noon. Help the body eliminate by feeding it fruit.

This is my small beginning, and you know what? Right at this moment, even now, I feel a little better than I did two paragraphs ago. Fascinating. I decided to lean on God and now I feel completely supported. I like knowing that He's in this with me :)

No comments: