Thursday, June 4, 2009

Homegrown Inspiration

Growing my own food has always been inspiring. When I saw the tops of these gorgeous crimson radishes poking their heads out of the soil inviting me to pull them up I was totally amazed that they grew so quickly and even more excited to eat early crops from the garden other than lettuce which we've been harvesting small amounts of for the past 10 days or so.
This year I planted nasturtium, a plant I've never grown before. They have these gorgeous edible flowers and while I understand that growing this plant is somehow good for my soil, growing the flower to eat is good for my soul :) Another edible flower that I included in my square foot gardens this year is the pansy. They come in many different colors and they have long been one of my favorites because of their bright colors and papery petals but again, this is the first year I've grown them. I can't wait to create a salad with homegrown greens and gorgeous edible flowers.This lush bowl of salad greens including a variety of lettuces and arugula from the garden was more than photo worthy. I feel so blessed to have the liberty to walk out my back door and go to my garden to gather my lunch or dinner. Wow.
So I've been away from raw for a while and though I of course continued to eat raw foods I did not manage to maintain a high raw diet. If all of this homegrown fresh goodness isn't inspiration to get back into the raw groove I don't know what is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy, I found you through googling rawfood blogs :) I'm at the stage of reading and experimenting with a raw diet...so I'm trying to find whatever I can about this kind of lifestyle - do you mind if I link up to your blog so I can follow your posts?